Sunday, November 27, 2011

Bye Bye Aztec Sapphic Studies...

Whilst I'm hesitant to suggest we copy the Chinese on anything (usually it's the other way around) this is interesting:
China’s Ministry of Education announced this week plans to phase out majors producing unemployable graduates, according to state-run media Xinhua. The government will soon start evaluating college majors by their employment rates, downsizing or cutting those studies in which less than 60% of graduates fail for two consecutive years to find work.
Yes, we do need the arts and social sciences. But I do cringe when I see useless people occupying a park bitching that after racking up all that debt on a useless degree, they can't get work.


(Yes, I know the sign is a joke)

3 Comments:

Blogger Osh said...

That doesn't look like an occupy sign. That looks like an "Occupiers are A**holes" sign. Good for that woman for culture jamming in reverse.

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I were dictator... no, make that when I become dictator, I will require, by the end of first year, every would-be humanities student to master one dead language and every would-be social-science student to master statistics.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Chistery said...

I do feel a bit sorry for Music students. There's is a real degree, but only a small percentage find real jobs. But I don't feel sorry enough for them to endorse a public bailout of their fees when the can't find work. Just sorry enough to not get the China treatment.

Happy, however, for the China style review and axe of many of the wankfest courses that fall under the BA umbrella.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home