Saturday, May 14, 2011

Meet interesting people. And cook for them.

Via Andrew Bolt, an Australian Defence Force recruitment video from twenty years ago.

Via the Australian Defence Force, today's version:
Well, the reason I joined the Navy was I was out of work for a small amount of time due to the kitchen I was working in...So my Mother said to me "maybe you should join the Navy" cause other people in my family had done it. So I thought "why not?"
She must be good at her job too. Check out the fattie who appears at 47 secs.

I'm not naive enough to assume that militaries in non-conscription countries won't attract their fair share of down-and-out recruits. But this is just sad.

While Australia's military try to feed off Masterchef hype, the Americans are betting their national security on So You Think You Can Dance.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jeremy said...

1986 > 2011 equals 25 years.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Good Jeremy. You get a gold star for arithmetic.

The army ad campaign with the whistled 1812 overture excerpt ran for about 5-10 years. This ad was simply one of many. I always liked this one.

20-30 years later, if you whistled that tune, most people would immediately associate it with those ads. Can you remember even a single army ad from the last ten years? Neither can I.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Boy on a bike said...

Cooks - commonly known as "fitters and turners".

They fit food into pots, and turn it into shit.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home