Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The true spirit of Australia

On Boxing Day, while motorcycling through the southwest of Western Australia, I pulled over for a few minutes to have a smoke and stretch my legs. While standing there relaxing I noticed a woman of advancing years walking purposely toward me. Upon reaching me she held out her hand and asked "Would you like a slice of homemade Christmas cake?" Totally surprised by this act of kindness I managed to stammer, "That would be lovely, thank you."

The good Samaritan handed me the slice of cake, turned around, headed back to her vehicle (towing a caravan), got in and unceremoniously drove away, her partner waving from the window.

This unsolicited act of kindness renewed my belief that Australians are without a doubt some of the kindest, friendliest people on Earth. The cake was lovely, by the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home