Monday, March 02, 2009

CRIKEY DOUBLES STANDARDS

Crikey's Jonathan Green has apologised to Andrew Bolt for some of the name calling coming out of Pure Poison. Reader Toaf is mystified:
I missed the accusations that Bolt was either a liar or a racist. I know that none of the authors here would call him a racist...
Sure they would: in a December 2008 Blair/Bolt watch piece titled "Still a dickhead" Jeremy Sear says Bolt is "racist" and "dishonest".

Further from Green:
Our comments code, the code our bloggers/moderators are contracted to observe, is based on the guidelines followed by Guardian publications. It covers most of the bases. On top of that, we will try where we can to weed out not just the vexatious and insulting, but also the frivolous and time wasting.
In short, Green expects all concerned will "play the ball, not the columnist". Bloggers are fair game, however:
As far as bottom-feeders go, little-known blogger J.F. Beck was the most unctuous to weigh in to yesterday’s Pure Poison attack. Beck’s blog has for years been little more than an exercise in ingratiating himself to Tim Blair with creepy personal pot-shots Jeremy Sear and ham-fisted attacks on Antony Loewenstein. Not surprisingly for someone of Blair’s ego, it seems to have worked — the two exchange links (and cuddly emails) with almost the same loving frequency as Blair and Bolt.

I won’t bother posting a link to Beck’s site because it (like the man himself, who all those years ago stalked Jeremy until he’d uncovered his identity) truly is a steaming pile of shit. But if you really must have a look at it, you can find a link in Legal Eagle’s blogroll at (gasp!) anti-bullying-humour-authority Helen Dale’s site.

Yep, Crikey is the home of high standards.

Update: Toaf's comment has disappeared. Imagine that.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Gibbo said...

I'm loving that no-one is linking to their site. That's gold. The whole idea behind their stupidity of late is nothing more than a lame attempt at drawing traffic. Make a stupid comment and wait for the retaliation in other words. The resulting traffic would then be presented to poor old Mr Beecher as justification for hiring these amateurs seeing he's in the business of selling advertising.

The fact that no-one has linked back to them is just brilliant! They've been made to look like the 2nd rate fools they are without getting any benefit from their stupidity. Well done.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm putting up my hand to say I worked out who Anonymous Lefty was some years ago. It wasn't Beck at all.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beecher made a mistake. I suspect pure poison is on probation. I cant see Beecher keep it going. Soon enough Crikey will get a law suit out of their piss poor moderation.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous J F Beck said...

Really, who cares?

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Dr. Cam said...

Probably nobody. If it helps, Bob, my name is Cam Smith and I live in Fitzroy. My email address is on my site if you have further questions. It pains me to see you trying to find the dirt when it's already all out there.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Toaf said...

Toaf wasn't "mystified". My comment was pointing out that none of the authors of PP had used those words; only commenters. I reckon that comments that called Bolt a racist had missed the point; he studiously avoids saying anything racist and leaves it all up to his readers' imaginations. I believe (but am only speculating) that my comment was removed, along with several others, as a result of a request from News Ltd lawyers. Fancy that.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Toaf said...

Did my reply to "Anonymous" go missing?

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Toaf said...

Ta, JF. Well, whatever I wrote I am sure it was witty and all that. Anon should consider him/herself pwned in any case.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home