Tuesday, July 17, 2007

HOMES NOT SAFE


As the owner of a placid but alert 45 kilo Rhodesian Ridgeback I feel totally safe inside my home. Not everyone is so lucky:
One in five [Britons] said they did not feel safe in their home at night and one in 20 burglary victims said they were so traumatised they moved house shortly afterwards.
Since most Britons aren't allowed guns, and many don't want a big dog, they must take alternative defensive measures:
One in three people keep a makeshift weapon beside their bed to protect against intruders, according to a survey published today.

Householders confessed to putting items such as golf clubs, cricket bats and heavy torches within reach for self-defence from burglars, researchers found, and more than half said they were prepared to use them.
If someone breaks into your house it's only sensible to assume the worst and act accordingly. A bit of trouble with the law is better than dead.

The four D-cell LED Maglite is a useful tool: dazzle the intruder with the very bright light and thump him a good one while he's trying to get his bearings.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Legal Eagle said...

When I lived in the UK, I was staying over at a school friend's house when some people tried to rob the house. My friend, her mother and I gathered on the stairs in our nighties. As the tallest and strongest of the three of us, I was given the ice pick, while my friend's mother called the police. Fortunately, the police came very quickly and chased the would-be robbers away.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn you Beck - you just cost me $60. After clicking the link I just had to upgrade my existing whacke....Mag light to LED!!!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home