Friday, March 24, 2006

RACIST OR REALIST?

Leeds University lecturer Dr Frank Ellis has been suspended amid accusations of racism. I'm vaguely familiar with Ellis but don't really know if he's a racist or not. Neither did his students:
"He was a very, very good teacher. He certainly knew his stuff.

"But I felt absolutely sickened when I read what he had said and I stopped going to his lectures."
Evidence of racism is also absent from this Guardian Special Report titled: Race in education. Here are a couple of supposedly damning Ellis quotes:
"I am an unrepentant Powellite. I think Enoch Powell first articulated the problem and the scale of the problem and nothing since 1968 has improved."

"The Bell Curve theory has demonstrated to me beyond any reasonable doubt there is a gap in average black and white average IQ."

"Multiculturalism is doomed to failure... because it is based on the lie that all people, races and cultures are equal; that no one race or culture is better than any other... Multiculturalism seeks to impose racial and cultural integration regardless of the wishes of blacks or whites to live in their own communities and pursue their own agendas."
Ellis is also accused of mysogyny:
"Why is it that all the great discoveries in science have all been made by men? ... The established feminist response is that women have been repressed. Now if you believe that you're entitled to believe it. I don't believe that."
If that's the best evidence there is, Ellis is getting railroaded. Don't get me wrong, I haven't researched Ellis's background and don't know if he's a racist. What I'm saying is, the Guardian doesn't make the case.

Editing note: Ellis somehow morphed into Farris part way through the post. Corrected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home