Wednesday, November 23, 2005

WHO'S TO BLAME FOR RAPE? PART 2

This follow-on to an earlier brief post is also something of a response to a thread over at the home of ever-so-polite, reasoned discussion, Larvatus Prodeo. The Larvatus Prodeo post is in reponse to a Guardian article that reports:
One in three people believes that women who behave flirtatiously are at least partially responsible if they are raped, a report published today reveals. A similar number think that women are partially or wholly responsible for being raped if they are drunk, and more than a quarter believe women are responsible if they wear sexy or revealing clothing.
The thrust of blogger Kate's post is as follows:
Newsflash. A woman is never responsible for being raped. Not one little bit. The responsibility for rape lies with the rapist. It doesn't matter what a woman wears, what she drinks, if she flirts with a man or not: if a man forces her to have sex against her will, it's RAPE. There are no extenuating circumstances. Consent is the only circumstance that matters.
Those commenters not toeing the politically correct line are treated to an attack that makes Tim Blair's allegedly rabid rabble seem tame by comparison:
Boy have I walked into the swamp of fucking morons this evening. What started off as an interesting article by Kate, with enough starting points for valid discussion, has been sidetracked off by the same fuckwits whose only answer to society’s disgraceful attittude to women and victims of sexual assault, is to say “aw but gee this bloke was wrongly accused, ain’t the woman a skanky ho”.

Fucking ridiculous bollocks from the usual knuckle dragging bellends that find it impossible to separate the ego from the gender.
Anyway, I do agree with Kate's notion that a woman can never be blamed for being raped. Rape can never be justified or excused. That said, there is no doubt in my mind that provocative dress or behaviour, or both, have contributed to women being raped or sexually assaulted. After all, sexy dress and behaviour are meant to arouse. Unfortunately, some men, in some situations, will be unable or unwilling to control themselves once aroused: they will respond inappropriately. This does not mean, however, that such inappropraite actions are ever justified or to be excused.

It does seem a bit odd that the lefties at Larvatus Prodeo absolve all women of all responsibility for all rapes when mostly they'd subscribe to the "root causes" provocation theory. You know, that even if the US didn't deserve to be attacked on 9/11, the attack was certainly understandable in light of the US's perceived provocations.

I also wonder how lefties would apportion responsibility if a digital camera – or some other valuable and desirable item – I left in plain view in an unlocked car were to be stolen. Am I to blame for the theft? Certainly not. Did I act irresponsibly, contributing to the theft? Yes.

Unfortunately, far too many people in the increasingly permissive west react inappropriately when provoked. It is, at least in part, a lefty inspired lack of personal responsibility thing.

Update: Nora Charles's comment – cross-posted at Larvatus Prodeo – has enlivened the discussion at LP and the lefties aren't happy. Boo hoo.

There's also this from Nora.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Nick and Nora Charles said...

I can't agree completely with the notion that women are completely blameless in a large number of rape cases.

Obviously responsibility for a crime lies with the criminal who committed it.

However,
If someone runs into me and strictly speaking I am not at fault, according to insurance companies at least, I have to wear some responsibility for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If my house is burgled because I left the front door unlocked or a window opened, I have to bear some of the responsibility.

If I walk down a dark alley in the middle of the night and I am mugged, then I bear some responsibility in putting myself in unnecessary risk.

Each choice we make comes with the responsibility for its consequences.

A woman who is giving all the signals of being ready and willing to put out shouldn't be surprised if someone takes whats on offer.

I'm not advocating that women dress in burqas, what I am suggesting that women can reduce, if not virtually eliminate the risk of rape by engaging in less risktaking behaviour such as getting 'shit-faced' when they go out; playing the highly charged sexual game of come-hither-go-away; and dressing inappropriately.

By dressing inappropriately I mean appropriate the context. If I'm going to a business meeting, I dress professionally, if I want to seduce Nicky, I wear something else entirely.

I don't understand what the deliberately obtuse notion that states women can do anything and think nothing bad can happen to them, then act all shocked when it does.

I go back to one of my earlier examples, we cluck sympathetically when we hear that someone's car has been pinched, but our attitude is less kind when we learn that the car was unlocked and the keys were in the ignition.

Camille Paglia has lots of interesting points to make on the subject.

-- Nora

Hmm, that's quite a rant of mine... I wonder what the crew at LP would think. Let's go find out eh?

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Nick and Nora Charles said...

Hmmm,
I was playing gently with them to make sure they didn't break, but it looks like I've been banned too. Three comments, all quite reasonable have been deleted.

Pity. I was having so much fun too.

-- Nora

6:16 AM  
Anonymous EvilPundit said...

Crikey. I can understand them banning me, since I like to go for shock value.

But banning Nora is just crazy.

Oh well, back to my own blog. I was going to post about the latest LP topic at home anyway.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home