Monday, August 08, 2005

BEVAN SEVAN SCAPEGOATED?

There's action at the UN the day before Paul Volcker issues an interim report on the oil-for-food program:
Benon Sevan, the former executive director of the scandal-plagued operation, resigned from the UN in a letter to Secretary-General Kofi Annan, claiming he was sacrificed for political reasons.

Mr Sevan, 67, blamed Mr Annan and his staff for making him a scapegoat.

"I fully understand the pressure that you are under, and that there are those who are trying to destroy your reputation as well as my own, but sacrificing me for political expediency will never appease our critics or help you or the organisation," he wrote.

"As I predicted, a high-profile legislative body invested with absolute power would feel compelled to target someone, and that someone has turned out to be me," he continued.

"The charges are false and you, who have known me all these years, should know they are false."

When swimming with sharks it's always a good idea to carry a knife and not swim alone. When menaced you can always cut your companion and swim for it. Right now Annan is free-styling for shore.

Correction: As noted in the excerpt, the man's name is Benon Sevan, not Bevan Sevan. My apologies for posting on the fly and then not taking the time to reread what I'd posted. Such basic errors are inexcusable.

1 Comments:

Anonymous The_Real_JeffS said...

Kofi is cutting Sevan loose, to sink or swim. Imagine my surprise.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home