Monday, February 21, 2005

Dr Gonzo pulls the plug ... err, trigger

Hunter S, Thompson is headed to that fortified compound in the sky:

"Dr. Hunter S. Thompson took his life with a gunshot to the head.

He was a talented writer and larger than life character:

"A lot of people really loved Hunter, and despised him at the same time," longtime friend and Rolling Stone photographer Lynn Goldsmith said."I know, having been a celebrity portrait photographer, that there are individuals who aren't like other people. That's because they're geniuses. So you can't expect them to act like a normal person."

Back in my university days I really enjoyed his writing but enjoyed him less and less as I matured. Along the way I also lost a young man's often fatal interest in guns, drugs and booze. Couple those three with writing and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Actually, I'm amazed he lived as long as he did without killing someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home